Well I guess since it exploded it's real (?) - not that the battery is worth much now
Reminds me of (all true, and I know them all) :
The person who thoroughly melted a standard little plastic fork into the pan while trying to use it to fry bacon.
The person who cleaned up his still-hot barbecue coals by dumping them into a paper bag.
The person who thought an interior gas connection might be leaking so she tested it with a lit match (fortunately there was no leak). (Same person as plastic fork and bacon story, she really needs a keeper.)